Comfort Food Ahead! Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
Over this past weekend I had a real hankering for some good old comfort food. I searched online and looked through my recipe book, I thought I had settled on this delicious looking recipe for Wine-Braised Beef Shepherd’s Pie. But... I didn't have any of the ingredients, however I did have lots of chicken. I went through my recipe book and decided on a favorite of mine that I haven't had in many years, Chicken and Dumplings. My sister recently gave me a tried and true recipe and so I decided I HAD to make it. I'll post the recipe below and hopefully you will enjoy it too!
Chicken and Dumplings
- 3 tbsps Butter
- 1 medium Onion
- 5 medium Carrots
- 1/3 tsp Thyme
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 can (14.5oz) Chicken Broth
- 1 1/2lb Chicken, cut into 2" pieces
- 3/4 tsp. Dill Weed
- 1 3/4 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 package Frozen Peas
- In dutch oven, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and thyme. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of flour and cook, stirring every 30 seconds. Add broth and bring to a boil. Stir occasionally, season with salt and pepper, nestle chicken in pot and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make dumplings. In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining 3/4 cup flour, dill, baking powder and 1/2tsp salt. With fork, gradually stir in 1/2 cup milk to form batter. It should be thicker than pancake batter. Set aside.
- Stir peas into pot. Drop batter in simmering liquid in 10 heaping tablespoonfuls, keeping them spaced apart. Cover and simmer until chicken is tender and dumplings are firm, about 20 minutes.
Serve and Enjoy!